Rudy Giuliani, Asshole of the Day for December 1, 2014
Rudy Giuliani just won’t shut up. A week ago he pulled out the “black on black crime” mantra, as a way to deflect attention from police shootings, for which he was justifiably mocked. But he didn’t stop there. Yesterday he was on Fox News telling people that, sure police could do a better job, but it’s mostly African American’s fault:
Responding to a grand jury’s decision not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson for killing 18-year-old Michael Brown, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday that the black community is more responsible for the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police than the officers themselves.
“I do believe that there is more interaction and more unfair interaction between police officers, white and black,” he admitted during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. “But I think just as much, if not more, responsibility is on the black community to reduce the reason why the police officers are assigned in such large numbers to the black community. It’s because blacks commit murder eight times more per capita than any other group in our society.”
More responsibility is on the black community to reduce crime than on the police. It sounds fine, and I’m sure it makes perfect sense to the viewers on Fox News, or really any racist who wants to blame African Americans for their problems and excuse themselves and America at large for not doing anything.
But it’s bullshit, and here’s why:
- A white man living in an all white neighborhood isn’t responsible for stopping his white neighbors from murdering each other, or committing crimes generally.
- But, according to Giuliani, the “black community” is responsible for reducing crime committed by black people. So all blacks are responsible for any individual crime committed by a black person.
And that’s not a subtelty– that’s the whole argument that he and all the other “black on black crime” people are all making. Black people are responsible for other black people, but white people aren’t responsible for the actions of white people. That’s racism, plain and simple.
So, for applying a different standard of responsibility for crime for blacks than for whites, Rudy Giuliani is the Asshole of the Day.
It is Rudy Giuliani’s first time being named Asshole of the Day.
Full story: Think Progress.
Share on Tumblr
- laurielle reblogged this from assholeofday
- sesealways liked this
- starchildchampion reblogged this from assholeofday
- starchildchampion liked this
- jubalrahl liked this
- dreadedfork-blog reblogged this from assholeofday
- doerofbadthings liked this
- ike963 reblogged this from assholeofday
- revdkathy reblogged this from mudshark58
- pearlsandpetticoats liked this
- mudshark58 reblogged this from sparklemotion74
- เล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ลุ้นรางวัลใหญ่atwarwithin reblogged this from assholeofday
- silas216 reblogged this from assholeofday
- silas216 liked this
- trophy-penis liked this
- miel-fina liked this
- lovely-kailyn reblogged this from assholeofday
- lovemissangela liked this
- ifonlyiwaswittier liked this
- seducktively reblogged this from assholeofday
- seducktively liked this
- acerebral reblogged this from assholeofday
- bechdel reblogged this from assholeofday
- zeshuetoral liked this
- cthulhulovesewe reblogged this from russalex
- cicada57 reblogged this from russalex
- cicada57 liked this
- russalex reblogged this from assholeofday
- pie-r0w reblogged this from gokuma
- hiddeninthebusses reblogged this from gokuma
- hiddeninthebusses liked this
- lewaka reblogged this from gokuma
- i-do-nt-kn-ow liked this
- gokuma reblogged this from assholeofday
- sparklemotion74 liked this
- sparklemotion74 reblogged this from puddingbowl
- assholeofday posted this